Our Initial Emergency Response & Extinguisher Training is a classroom and practical course for learning the skills to respond to emergencies and fire incidents. In this course participants will have hands-on training with fire fighting equipment under the supervision of experienced firefighters.
Who should attend?
Our Initial Emergency Response & Extinguisher Training is open to members of the public over the age of 18. There is no training prerequisite. The course is designed to assist people who may need to respond to fire emergencies, such as:
- Any person who may be a first responder to a fire emergency
- Security staff
- Workplace health and safety managers and staff
- Construction and manufacturing workers
- Factory workers
- Facilities staff
- Shop keepers
- Restaurant and cafe owners
- Hospital staff
- Childcare workers
- Members of the public with responsibilities for managing a building or facility
On completion of this training, participants will
- Have an understanding of fire prevention practices in the workplace
- Understand incident response using Standing Fire Orders
- Be competent in the role of a first responder to a fire emergency
- Have practical experience using portable fire equipment, including fire blankets and extinguishers
- Know how to choose appropriate fire fighting equipment
- Have the skills and knowledge to safely undertake an initial attack on small fires
Group Size: The training is designed for a group of between 10 to 20 people. Larger groups can be accommodated.
On-Site Training and Burnley Training
The Initial Emergency Response & Extinguisher Training is offered in two formats –
- On-Site Training – conducted on your premises
- Burnley Training – conducted at the FRV’s Burnley Training Facility
This training is normally conducted on your premises. In the situation where you do not have a suitable and safe location to conduct the extinguisher training, a special time can be organised at the FRV’s Burnley Training Facility
Course Duration: 1.5 hours. For large groups, additional time may be required.
Our Initial Emergency Response & Extinguisher Training has been designed by skilled fire fighters with experience in extinguishing fires in emergency situations. Course content includes:
- Fire awareness and safety practices
- Emergency response actions (Standing Fire Orders)
- Identification of the various types of extinguishers and hose reels
- Understanding of the principles of combustion and spread of fire
- Understanding of the different classes of fire, and the appropriate use of extinguishers for those fires
- The practical use of fire fighting equipment to extinguish fires in a safe and controlled environment
- Correct fire extinguisher techniques
Attendees should be dressed in comfortable clothes with solid footwear. Open-toe shoes or sandals are not suitable.
Book Your Training Course
Initial Emergency Response & Extinguisher Training can be scheduled at any time, depending on trainer availability.
Disclaimer: FES Emergency Training courses are updated regularly to reflect changes in Australian Standards, improvements in training delivery and to include feedback from our customers. Due to these changes the course delivered to you by our trainers may differ from the description on this webpage. FES Emergency Training courses will always adhere to Australian Standards and building codes, and will always provide services to you with the intention of keeping you and the community safe.